RULES AND GUIDELINES • 2016
The 2016 Whole Picture Film Contest is exclusively for students in grades 3 to 12 in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire Counties of Western Massachusetts.
1. All entries must be posted on YouTube in digital video 1080p HD.
2. Students may work as a whole class, a club, a group of friends, or individually.
3. Your film can be any length up to 5 minutes.
4. In addition to the 5 minutes maximum, your entry should begin with a 10 second full-screen title that includes:
a. Title of video
b. Filmmaker(s) name(s)
c. School name and city
d. Total running time (not including the 10 second title screen)
5. Plagiarism or copying of other people’s work and implying it is your own will result in elimination from the contest. If you do use other people’s words or speech you must mention the source(s) within the film or in the credits at the end of the film.
6. Other people’s creative work: Copyrighted materials (music, video, images, voices, etc.) may only be used for your film if you own the copyright or have written permission to use the material for this contest. You must get written permission and give it to us along with the Entry Form to be considered for an award.
7. Your video must have one person as the main contact (called the Lead Filmmaker). If you work in a group and receive the award, it will be given to the main contact to be shared with all those listed on the entry form.
8. There is no entry fee. Entering this contest is free.
9. You must submit 1) a signed/completed Entry Form and, 2) a signed/completed Actor Release Form for each person appearing in your video. Forms can be scanned/emailed to: Contest@WholePictureFilms.org; or mailed to: Whole Picture Films, P.O. Box 44, Haydenville, MA 01039.
10. All parts of the online entry form must be completed when you upload your video for it to be eligible.
11. Entries may be submitted starting October 15, 2016. The absolute final deadline for submissions is January 15, 2017. Winners will be announced by February 15, 2017.
12. This contest is only for students. No professional help is allowed. Adults are encouraged to be involved in discussions or to be actors but all research, planning and direction must be by students.
13. The judges’ decisions are final. Entries will be judged separately for each grade group. Decisions will be made based on the criteria listed in the Judging section.
14. You should safely keep a copy of your video.
15. You own all rights to your film and can do whatever you wish with it except that you
give Whole Picture Film Contest permission to do the following if you are chosen as a winner:
a. Only if you are chosen for an award, you give Whole Picture Film Contest the right to use your name, photograph, statements, quotes, testimonials, and video submissions for any advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes without notification or further payment.
b. You give Whole Picture Film Contest the right to reproduce, reprint, distribute, perform, display, or exhibit your film for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes on our website, at conferences, or anywhere else without further payment or notification.
16. By accepting the prize, you hold Whole Picture Film Contest and our employees harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of use of such prize.
17. As a participant, you assume all liability for any injury or damage caused from participation in the contest and/or use or redemption of any prize.